The Little Grey Cells' Blog

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Life

We had just finished our New Years Eve party at Jack’s house.After all it was the tradition of the Class of 1986 to meet every year at someones house so we could catch up on the whole years activities.Of course the party began in one year and ended in another!We were all so caught up in our lives that we hardly had the right to call it a “life”.I was an architect.Almost all year round I would hear people calling me “Mr. Evans.” Finally I was being called Nathan.This showed how much time I really had for my personal life.
After we had had our rounds of “Happy New Year”, “Thanks Jack” and “Bye,Jack”,I turned to walk home.A friend of mine did ask me if I wanted a ride but as I did every year,I refused and continued walking.This was the only time I ever had time to myself.Besides,I lived only a few streets away.I always took this time to recollect the things I had done over the year. I used this time for introspection.
I walked along the street and began thinking about my wife.I had not spoken to her for a very long while.I began to think of all the good times we had had and how I had foolishly given her up in favour of a job.When a zooming car passed by,I suddenly became aware of my surroundings.I had taken the wrong road.I found myself near a graveyard.Being the artist I was,I could not take my eyes off the beautiful gravestones.I simply had to go in.
I went in and a sense of peace entered me.I felt at rest.I strolled through lovely gravestones and paused at ones that were either architecturally appealing or ones that touched my emotional side.Some children had died at the age of 1 and 2.All I thought was , “How unfair!”
As I moved towards the gate to leave,I heard the soft sniffing if a child.I turned and found to my surprise a young boy sitting in a tomb.He was wearing a blue baseball cap which made me think instantly of my child.I did not know if I had a son or a daughter.I was so caught up in my life that I hadn’t even bothered to ask my wife when she had had our baby.
At first I thought I would leave the boy there but then I decided to go ask what the matter was. “Hello there!” I said.He looked up at me with the most warm brown eyes I had ever seen.It looked like he had been crying for a long while.I sat down beside him and tried to ask his name.He didn’t reply.Then all of a sudden he caught hold of my arm and began sobbing into it. “Mum said she would never leave me and go…and now she’s gone and I have no where to …”.He didn’t even complete his sentence but I knew what he meant.The little boy was now afraid of being alone.I asked where his father was but he replied that he had never seen his father before.On hearing this,I felt very guilty.I too had never met my child.I began to feel more and more ashamed of myself.
All of a sudden I felt like I had to do something for this child.I had to find him a home.And a nice one at that.I felt some sort of bond grow instantly between us.Also,I made a mental note to go home and at once talk to my wife.Not because I had to but because I wanted to.I hugged the boy and asked if he would come home with me.I had assumed my wife would take me back and our child would have a sibling to grow up with.Several thoughts went through my mind but one predominated.My wife and I would have a family again!The little boy jumped at the idea of coming home with me and eagerly asked, “Mister,may I call you daddy?” “Of course!”I replied.
We got up to leave.I had my mind set on making up with my wife,meeting my child for the first time(I personally wanted it to be a boy) and having her meet our new son.His name I had still to ask.Hardly had the thought of asking him his name crossed my mind,did he say, “Im Jamie by the way.”I chuckled to myself because that was what my wife always want dot name her son!What fun if we had two Jamies!I walked away from the gravestone towards the exit…towards a new life…even if it meant giving up my job.
Suddenly something inside of me made me want to turn and look at the grave.With out realizing it,I had been sitting on the grave of someone I did not even know.I owed the boy’s mother that much respect of at least knowing her name.After all I was taking her child now.I turned around and looked at the epitaph of
“Shannon Evans”-My wife.

Aakanksha
Dont laugh.I thought I'd once in blue moon write non-sport stuff although it doesnt seem right.

4 Comments:

Blogger pyec08 said...

Kanki I'll never listen to you again. Pah! Always saying that you can't write...and also getting people to believe that sports is the only thing that u can write!!!
Fuss pot!
U have just succeeded in proving urself wrong!!:)

Vaish

7:00 PM  
Blogger pyec08 said...

kanki tats like an awesome piece!! dont u ever say again tat u cant write.
chandni

10:11 AM  
Blogger pyec08 said...

yeah dude...its really really great...brilliant job!!

raisa

5:31 PM  
Blogger pyec08 said...

Whadya mean it doesn't sound right?!?
Bof! (Sound to convey exasperation and dismissal)
Kanki, around how old is the lil boy?
Karunya

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home